The Animal Guardian Society was founded in 1987. The Animal Guardians raise funds to care for our animals through fundraiser’s, and the generosity of animal lovers who donate. The program routinely receives numerous requests from local animal shelters to take needy dogs. TAGS has always been known to help the dogs that no one else will, the old, the sick, the dogs that need a lot of training. They never turn away from any animal in need.
It’s been over 25 years since Kathy Asling found an 8-week-old puppy on the street. She immediately called every possible link to the pup’s owners and ran an advertisement in her local newspaper. A reporter who saw the ad called Kathy to write a cover story. Now 21 years later and thousands of dogs successfully re-homed, she has yet to stop! Kathy and her corps of volunteers work closely with animal shelters, humane societies, and the community to improve the lives of canine citizens.
- Fill in adoption application. Whether you are interested in a particular animal already in our rescue program or wish to be considered for any animals that may become available in the future, you must complete the online Adoption Application Form in full. The application gives volunteers an idea of what you have to offer a rescued animal and also helps to determine which animal will be better suited to your home environment. Applicants are requested to FOLLOW UP the online application submission by phone or EMAIL to confirm their interest. We thank all applicants for their submissions, however only those applicants APPROVED by the T.A.G.S. Adoption Committee will be contacted.
- The Meet & Greet. Upon approval of your application, a T.A.G.S. representative will contact you to arrange a Meet & Greet with one or a number of adoptable dogs. The Meet & Greets are held at the TAGS Dog Park & Training Centre, by appointment, on Saturdays between 11am and 2pm.
- The Home Visit. The visit consists of a minimum of two trained volunteers bringing the pet to the applicant’s home for a meeting. This gives the applicant an opportunity to see the pet in their home, and to ask further questions. Our volunteers will take this opportunity to get to know your family and your level of experience through a series of questions.
- The Extended Visit. After a Home Visit has been conducted, the potential adoptive family is encouraged to take their time and discuss amongst themselves. During the Extended Visit, the dog will come and stay in the applicant’s home for a number of days in order to determine if it is a good fit.
- The Adoption Agreement. If the first three steps have been completed successfully, the final stage of the adoption process is the signing of an adoption agreement by the adopter and a T.A.G.S. representative. Only at this stage is ownership of the animal transferred from T.A.G.S. to the adopter, and they are free to begin a happy and life-long relationship.
The Adoption Fee includes:
- Veterinary health checked
- Vaccinations as needed
- Microchip Implant
- Pet health Insurance through OSPCA Pet Insurance “6 WEEK GIFT”
- 8 Week post-adoption followup workshop
The T.A.G.S. Adoption fee is $345.00.
The fee is to be paid at the time of signing the adoption contract.
For more detailed information please contact one of our volunteers.