Ottawa, ON | 613-558-7070
Ontario Pug Rescue
The mission of Under My Wing Pug Rescue is to help pugs in need and find them a “forever loving home” where they can rest their heads at night. Under My Wing Pug Rescue is a registered charitable organization (822 842 290 RR0001) based in Ottawa, Ontario and run entirely by volunteers who are dedicated to providing a bridge between a pug’s past life and its better future.
The rescue provide pugs with medical care including sterilization and vaccination, as well as emotional care such as loving attention, comfort, companionship, as well as finding a forever home. Volunteers do not receive any compensation for their efforts. They all donate their time, effort, and skills for the love of pugs. Like most rescues, they don’t have a building or formal business hours. They don’t provide an animal shelter where people can drop by, choose a pug, and then take it home.
Potential adopters are required to complete a comprehensive adoption application form, undergo a home visit, and agree to fairly strict conditions. This is to ensure that a pug won’t end up needing to find a new home again.
Application process is on a pug by pug basis. This means that if you see a pug on the website that you are interested in adopting, then you apply for that specific pug. Your application will NOT be kept on file if you are not selected for that dog. You must reapply each and every time for a pug. Your application will not be reviewed if you have not specified a pug or if the application is incomplete in any way.
The rescue will only contact people who have been selected. If they do not call or email you within 3-5 days of receiving your application, it either means that a suitable application was received prior to yours or we believe the pug you are interested in adopting might not be the best match. The welfare of our rescue pugs is their top priority.
Basic Adopter Requirement
- They only adopt within Ontario and Quebec. If you are out of those 2 provinces, please DO NOT apply.
- You MUST have or be willing to get some form of air conditioning for your home. There must be some place in the home that is air conditioned for the health of the pug.
- If you have a pool or a pond, it must be fenced off so that the dog has no access. Pugs can drown rapidly, most are poor swimmers and are not always terribly water smart.
- They do not allow their dogs to be tied out or staked out in the yard. Tie outs and staking can result in serious injury and death to a dog.
- They require that you supervise your pug at all times when they are out of the house.
- Pugs are not outdoor dogs and cannot survive living in a dog house or other out building – including the garage. We require that our dogs live within the house with the family.
- If you reside in a house, they much prefer that you have a fully fenced backyard. This is not a requirement for adoption, but is certainly the better option. If your yard is not fully fenced, the dog must be on leash at all times when outside of the house. Invisible fences and other collar activated restraining devices are not acceptable.
- If you live in an apartment or condo, your must provide proof that the landlord or management allows you to have a dog.
- If you are gone from the home for longer than 8 hours, you will likely need to make arrangements for someone to come home to let the dog(s) out. Pugs are a small breed and should not be expected to hold their bladders or bowels for longer than 8 hours. Some can do it, but most can’t and shouldn’t be expected to.
- Pugs are notorious for food allergies. It is recommended that you feed a high quality food that is, at minimum, wheat, corn and soy free. For your pug’s health, we recommend a grain-free diet which is what we are giving to the pugs coming into rescue.
- If you currently have animals in the house (cats and/or dogs) they must be spayed or neutered unless there is a medical reason why they are not or cannot be.
- Please be sure to check your local by-laws regarding the total number of pets you can legally have in your home and only apply if you are below that limit.
PUGS AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION - you may submit an Adoption Application Form (providing you meet the requirements)
ADOPTION PENDING OR HOME VISIT SCHEDULED - the application process is closed & we are NO LONGER ACCEPTING ADOPTION APPLICATIONS
NOT YET READY TO BE ADOPTED - These pugs are currently in foster care and are receiving medical attention or behaviour/temperament assessment, they are NOT yet ready to be adopted. DO NOT SUBMIT ADOPTION APPLICATION. Please continue to monitor the website for any changes in these pugs status.
Contact the rescue by email to receive an Adoption Application, fill it out and return to us by email. The Adoption Application will soon be available online as soon as the new website is completed.
Up to 1 year old: $575
1 to 2 years old: $500
2 to 6 years old: $400
6 years old & up: $300
Special needs: $200
The adoption fees include:
- Spay/neuter surgery
- Complete health check
- DA2PP or DHPP vaccine (Distemper, Adenovirus Type 2, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus)
- Dental procedure and any other medical procedure if deemed necessary by a veterinarian
- Fecal analysis and treatment if necessary